Thursday, October 2, 2008

Can't stop listening

I don't know what it is.

I don't know what it is about his music, but once the CD goes in, I can't take it out.

Have you heard Chris Tomlin's "Hello Love" album yet? There is a song on there called "God Of This City" and perhaps you are already singing it in Church.

If you haven't heard it yet, perhaps you should stop what you are doing. Seriously. Like stop working, or surfing the net, or whatever you are doing, and find this song.

Heres the story behind it: (written by Chris)

We were recently in Belfast, Northern Ireland for a concert. The night consisted of a great line up of worship bands. One of the bands that night was local and they were called Bluetree. Daniel (guitar player) was thankfully paying close attention when they went into this song, "God of this city." He immediately came to me and said that I had to hear it. When I did hear it, I knew that it was a timely song and that it would be perfect for the journey we were about to undertake with Passion. And after hearing how the boys of Bluetree wrote the song, it is no wonder why this song is full of power. Turns out the song was written in a bar/brothel in Padia, Thailand. When the owner of the bar found out the lads were a band, he asked if they wanted to play and the Bluetree boys were up for it. Now that's worship leading! Proclaiming the grace of God in the middle of a brothel. Sounds a lot like Jesus to me. Aaron Boyd of Bluetree told me that in the middle of their set of songs, this song just spontaneously birthed. God put this powerful lyric on their lips in that moment…

greater things have yet to come
and greater things are still to be done in this city.

They graciously allowed me to record it and it became the title track to the current Passion CD and the name of our 17 city Passion world tour. What a statement to proclaim in the cities of the world!


I keep the song on repeat for a while, then go to the next track "I Will Rise." Usually the tears start to fall by the time I get to this song... (which I'm listening to as I type today).

Chris Tomlin is my favorite artist on Spirit. He always has been, and probably always will be. So that's my case for "Hello, Love." No, I don't get a commission. I just write about things I'm passionate about. The next post will most likely be about juicing again.

No comments: