Sunday, November 30, 2008

Olive Bread


I love kalamata olives. Don't remember the first time I tried one, but it was love at first bite.

Last week, Joel came home with Olive bread (didn't know it existed...now my life is changed) and we dipped warm slices in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. It was so good, we were fighting for the crumbs. Olive bread...Olive oil...no wonder I named my first born Olivia.

I digress. We went back to the store and bought another loaf. We decided to pace ourselves and not devour the whole thing in an evening. The next afternoon, when I went to cut it, the crust was distinctively harder. It had hardened overnight, I guess, perhaps because I didn't seal the brown paper bag well enough. As I took my big, serrated bread knife to the thick, rock-hard crust, you can guess what happened. Slip. Knife in hand.

Index finger, to be specific. The kind of slice this is a little too deep and too quick to realize just what you've done. "JOOOELLL!" I scream from the kitchen. He ran to the garage, where we keep the first aid kit.

He helped me with a band-aid as I debated whether or not this was an ER laceration or simply a band-aid-sized-kitchen-mishap. I ask Joel. He says something about "...and why did you do this when there were three seconds left in the game and they were about to kick the field goal?" A response like that generally means I don't need to go to the ER.

Three hours later.

Joel heads into the kitchen. He has Olive bread on his mind. Same knife, same bread....same slip. Same finger.

Bigger cut.

I will not post what he said next.

Good thing the first aid kit was still in the kitchen. The debate about whether this was the time to visit the ER began again. Joel was feeling a little queasy (we think he hit a nerve in his finger) so he went to lay down.

A few minutes later, he returned, holding his finger above his head. I asked if that helped, and why he was doing it. He just looked at me and slowly lowered his hand.

I think the part that bothered us most is that we just wanted a piece of that dang bread. I felt like a mouse reaching for cheese and then SNAP! goes the trap.

This morning, the bread was still on the counter. The crust, a day harder. My will - a bit stronger. I microwaved that thing to "soften" it, and then ripped a chunk off. I took my prize into the living room and sat by Joel.

"You are a brave woman." And he smiled.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

If there is a next time, ask the store to slice the loaf for you. Then seal in a plastic bag and nuke each slice individually if needed.

Anonymous said...

That story is HILARIOUS...BUT more importantly, I've got to tell you about this!!! I hope you read this!! I read your post a few back about your donation to your church after doing Wheel of Fortune. I was touched and reflected about how my financial giving was at a stand still with my own church due to my circumstances being a lot like yours were...new college grad/high rent. So, I heard you on Spirit about the Union Gospel Mission and I asked God how I could help. He told me to sew a seed--to donate what you were asking for from each of the callers--just the cost of two months. I did it. I trusted. You inspired me. It was part of my rent money. I didn't know how I'd make rent tomorrow, the first of the month, but God wanted me to donate last Tuesday so I trusted. Sarah-I just picked up my mail from Saturday and I received a refund from something I've overpaid on! I can't believe it. You were so right...when God tell you to do something, you need to listen and deliver, and He will not forsake you.
Thank you, Cate

Paulina said...

What a horrible thing to happen to BOTH of you guys! Hope your finger feels better soon!

Marie Stork said...

Since you love Kalamata Olives here is a recipe that I love!

Kalamata Olive & Red Pepper Spread

8 oz cream cheese, softened
12 pitted kalamata olives, finely chopped
¼ cup finely diced red bell pepper
2 Tbsp. snipped fresh parsely
1 garlic clove, pressed
Toasted pine nuts (optional)

Toasted baguette slices, assorted vegetables or crackers (optional)
1. In medium bowl, combine cream cheese, olives, bell pepper, parsley and garlic mix well.
2. Spoon spread into serving dish; top with toasted pine nuts if desired. Serve with toasted baguette slices, assorted vegetables or crackers, if desired.
Yield 24 servings (about 1 ½ cups spread)

Found your blog via Sara Schrieber's.
Marie
storkmm@juno.com

Unknown said...

Mmmm! I love kalamata olives and olive bread. I don't think I'll ever think of the name Olive-i-ah the same...hope your fingers are mending :)

Eva said...

Ok Sarah, my husband was listening to you tell this story on air the other day. MY HUSBAND WAS LISTENING!!! He came home and told me your olive bread finger cutting story. I hope you and Joel are healing!!! I can't believe Olivia is going to be 2 soon. Where did the time go?

Anonymous said...

Sarah,Sarah,Sarah!! I worry about you girl!! But I do LOVE your stories!!! And nothing like keeping it in the family!!
Love you, girl and miss you!
Barb Z.

Anonymous said...

ouch! ok here's a couple of tips:
1) keep a first aid kit near the kitchen! (w/ four boys, we have bandaids and first aid supplies in the kitchen and every bathroom! plus full first aid kits with the hiking stuff and in the car!

2) Joel was doing the right thing elevating. Above the heart is good. after the paramedics came to my house when Daniel poked his fingertip w/ scissors (but I didn't know where b/c there was blood everywhere(!), they said I did everything right except the elevating. This is a good one to remember that I forgot.

3) I LOVE kalamata olive bread as well! Essential Bakery makes an awesome one that I can usually find at pcc. The directions on the bag say to eat w/in the first day. Otherwise if it gets hard, spritz w/ water and pop it in the oven (not microwave). the microwave removes moisture. I've found that that more than a sprinkle and the microwave does revive it to edible (not tooth-breaking) texture. I also try to cut the whole loaf right when I get it (so the kids don't have to wield a knife) and then get that bag crumpled shut. sometimes I put it in a bigger paper bag that will actually close. actually, once the loaf is sliced, it doesn't usually last very long ;-) I've done the finger slice before too. I must not have sliced with as much gusto as you and Joel b/c mine was still a surface wound ;-)

4) it's good to kiss and make-up. you can tell Joel you forgive him for questioning your need for the '3-seconds-left-field-goal injury interruption', and ask forgiveness for giving him a funny look about elevating his cut.

5) olive. olivia. totally cute. what's not to love?!

millie :-)

SPUD said...

KILLER BREAD! ask the bakery if they'll slice it for you next time!