Thursday, June 14, 2007

Ruth Bell Graham 1920-2007


When I heard today that Ruth Bell Graham passed away, I instantly remembered one particular poem. When I was a teenager, my mom handed me a piece of paper with this prayer.

Dear God, I prayed, all unafraid
(as we're inclined to do)
I do not need a handsome man
but let him be like you;

I do not need one big and strong
nor yet so very tall,
nor need he be some genius
or wealthy, Lord, at all;
but let his head be high, dear God,
and let his eye be clear,
his shoulders straight,
whate'er his state,
whate'er his earthly sphere;
and let his face have character,
a ruggedness of soul,
and let his whole life show,
dear God,
a singleness of goal;
then when he comes
(as he will come)
with quiet eyes aglow
I'll understand that he's the man
I prayed for long ago."*


Ruth Bell wrote this poem about her future husband when she was just 19 years old. Before she even met Billy Graham.

3 comments:

Leeners said...

Wow. I wasn't aware she'd passed away. I love the poem!

Jan Cooke said...

Just saw you June 14 post. Thanks for sharing that. I wish all our adolescent and young adult girls could see this and make this prayer theirs. Jan Cooke

Shannon said...

thank you for sharing/posting this. i wanted to post it on my blog to share with others and save for my 12 year old daughter. keep posting and i'll keep reading!